Lebanese Registry in the Management of Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea in Children: Observational Study in Daily Practice

Elie Choueiry, Raymond Kamel, Hilda Chacar, Pierre Mouawad, Robert Sacy

Abstract


Background: Antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) is a common complication in patients prescribed antibiotics, and represents an economic and health burden. Evidence that probiotics may be beneficial for the prevention of AAD is increasing. The aims of this registry were to assess the prevalence of probiotic prescriptions in pediatric patients for whom an antibiotic treatment regimen was prescribed, and to explore the potential health benefits that such an administration may provide.

Methods: This longitudinal, multicenter, observational study enrolled 249 pediatric patients prescribed an antibiotic treatment for 5 - 14 days, with or without a concomitant probiotic. The number of probiotic-administered patients, and AAD incidence rates throughout the 15-day follow-up period, were assessed.

Results: Of the 246 patients who met inclusion/exclusion criteria in Lebanon, the investigators had prescribed an additional probiotic treatment to 118 (48%) of them, while, the other 128 (52%) did not receive such additional treatment. A significantly higher number of patients in the probiotic group were at high risk of developing diarrhea (probiotic: 27.1% vs. no probiotic: 6.3%; P < 0.001). Among high risk patients, the frequency of diarrhea was doubled in the group with no probiotics (probiotic: 21.9% (n = 7) vs. no probiotic: 50.0% (n = 4); P = 0.182). Despite the significantly larger number of probiotic-administered patients that were at high risk of developing diarrhea, the proportion of patients who reported developing diarrhea was not statistically different between the two groups (probiotic: n = 22 (18.6%) vs. no probiotic: n = 24 (18.8%); P = 0.983).

Conclusions: In conclusion, this Lebanese disease registry demonstrated that almost half of pediatric patients with mild to moderate infections were prescribed probiotics in combination with antibiotics to decrease the risk of AAD. This observation was particularly significant in the high risk population as per the treating physician’s judgment.




Int J Clin Pediatr. 2017;6(1-2):8-19
doi: https://doi.org/10.14740/ijcp269w

 


Keywords


Pediatric antibiotic-associated diarrhea; Probiotics; Bacillus clausii; Clostridium difficile

Full Text: HTML PDF
 
Home     |     Log In     |      About     |      Search     |      Current     |      Archives     |      Submit      |     Subscribe


 

     

Aims and Scope

Current Issues

Conflict of Interest

About Publisher

Editorial Board

Archives

Copyright

Company Profile

Editorial Office

Misconduct and Retraction

Permissions

Company Registration

Contact Us

Abstracting and Indexing

ICMJE

Ownership

Instructions to Authors

Access

Declaration of Helsinki

Contact Publisher

Submission Checklist

Reprints

Terms of Use

Company Address

Submit a Manuscript

Open Access Policy

Privacy Policy

Browse Journals

Publishing Fee

Publishing Policy

Disclaimer

Recent Highlights

Peer-Review Process

Publishing Quality

Code of Ethics

Advertising Policy

Manuscript Tracking

Advanced Search

For Librarians

Careers

Publishing Process

Publication Frequency

For Reviewers

Propose a New Journal

       
       

International Journal of Clinical Pediatrics, quarterly, ISSN 1927-1255 (print), 1927-1263 (online), published by Elmer Press Inc.     
The content of this site is intended for health care professionals.
This is an open-access journal distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted
non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Creative Commons Attribution license (Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC-BY-NC 4.0)


This journal follows the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommendations for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals,
the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines, and the Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing.

website: www.theijcp.org   editorial contact: editor@theijcp.org
Address: 9225 Leslie Street, Suite 201, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 3H6, Canada

© Elmer Press Inc. All Rights Reserved.

DECLARATION: THIS JOURNAL SITE OUTLOOK IS DESIGNED BY THE PUBLISHER AND COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. DO NOT COPY!